As a member of the Grant K8 PTA, you support the school, stay connected, and become and advocate for your child and all students at Grant. The more members we have, the bigger voice we have in advocating the district and state for things that our school needs the most. Parents, students, teachers, and even community members are eligible to join the PTA.
Spectrum is offering 60 days free wifi or broadband to any family with a K-12 student who does not already have internet access at home. Call starting March 16 (877-906-9121); there is no income requirement
San Diego Unified School District
· District Learning & Curriculum: Link Here
· San Diego Unified’s COVID-19 information page.
· Almost all individual teachers use the Google Classrooms to keep in touch (varies by teacher). Please email your teacher for that information.
eBooks from Destiny
Students have the availability to check out eBooks from Destiny. Public libraries are now closing, here is a place students can find solace between the pages of a book.
Kid-Friendly Explanations of the Coronavirus
· NPR comic about coronavirus
· BrainsOn podcast about coronavirus
· Tumble asks an infectious disease pediatrician questions about coronavirus
· Curious Kids Podcast Curious about Cleanliness podcast
· Kids are used to structure and schedules at home. If possible, create a schedule at home that allows for you and your children to learn, play, clean and have quiet down time together.
· Kids will miss their friends. If possible, have them video chat with classmates or other playmates.
· Washington Post article about parenting during the time of coronavirus.
· NPR Guide to parenting during the coronavirus time.
· PebbleGo: Username: engaged / Password: learning
· Capstone Interactive eBook: Username: continue / Password: reading
· Age of Learning ABC Mouse, Adventure Academy and Reading IQ - code SCHOOL1446
· Author Jess Keating offers ten writing lessons (website also features printable)
Ms. Sarah's Art to Heart On-line Tutorials: https://youtu.be/gC87JU2nojw
· San Diego Unified’s VAPA department is sharing online resources for remote art learning. Just click on the menu top-right to access content for Dance, Music, Theater and Visual Art.
· National Geographic - click the explore tab for more (link links to kids vs. plastics)
· Sign up to learn about Skype a Scientists jam-packed calendar of live skype sessions with scientists, covering everything from glaciers to birds.
· The Fab Lab With Crazy Aunt Lindsey features great science videos.
· Science worksheets and info from environmental scientist, Olivia Sanderfoot
· Zooniverse has a projects page where families can participate in crowd-sourced citizen science projects.
· Citizen scientist website iNaturalist.org has a way for kids to upload observations about the natural world around them.
· Birdwatch from your backyard and report your findings at eBird.
· Hands-on science experiments for home.
· GeoGuesser is a game where you are virtually plopped down someplace in the world and you have to guess where you are.
· Phylo is like Pokemon but with real animals; downloadable deck
· Mystery Science has science mini lessons and hands on activities
· PBS Kids
STEAM Videos & Live Cams
Author and Illustrator Resources
· Kate Messner has a wonderful collection of authors and illustrator content/videos on her website.
· Jarrett J. Krosoczka—author & illustrator is hosting live daily drawing lessons at 11am. (All videos will be archived.)
· Sarah S. Brannan’s #StoryMarch asks kids to draw a new thing every day using daily prompts. Parents are encouraged to draw as well
· KidLit TV features book read-alouds
· Pernille Ripp has a collection of picture book read-alouds and other resources
· BrainsOn! Science podcast
· The Past and The Curious history podcast
· Book Power for Kids book reviews
· But Why? Science podcast
· Cool Facts About Animals podcast
· Good Words podcast about words
· Buttons & Figs word podcast
· Story Pirates storytelling podcast
· BrainsOn! Smash Boom Best debate podcast
· Come Circle Round storytelling podcast
· 12 famous museums where you can take a virtual tour
· National Gallery of Art will be hosting virtual tours of the museum; each day will focus on one room and the art in it
· Met Opera house will be hosting daily operas from their archives starting March 16 at 4:30pm
· Virtual Field Trips
Free Website Resources
Massive list of free websites; parents, you may want to preview these for age-appropriateness
San Diego Unified Food Services—FREE
The Food Service Dept. will be conducting a drive-thru/walk-up distribution of packaged prepared food. Children will need to be present to receive meals, and each child 18 years and younger can take one lunch and one breakfast for the next day. There will be no congregate feeding. All food will be consumed off site. Meal distribution times for all locations are from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
· Clark Middle - 4388 Thorn St, San Diego, CA 92105
· Cherokee Point Elementary - 3735 38th St, San Diego, CA 92105
· Sherman Elementary - 301 22nd St, San Diego, CA 92102
· Zamorano Elementary - 2655 Casey St, San Diego, CA 92139
· Kearny High - 1954 Komet Way, San Diego, CA 92111
· O'Farrell Charter - 6130 Skyline Dr, San Diego, CA 92114
· Walker Elementary - 9245 Hillery Dr., San Diego, CA 92126
· Farb Middle - 4880 La Cuenta Dr, San Diego, CA 92124
San Diego Area Food Resources
· 211 Food Pantry Resources—these programs seek to meet the basic nutritional needs of the community by providing access to food products.
· Foodfinder.com—award-winning site/app to help food insecure families find free food assistance programs quickly
· Links for Paid Family Leave, Paid Sick Leave, Disability and Unemployment and more.
· California Department of Public Health about the COVID-19 virus.
· San Diego County COVID-19 page
· San Diego County Community Support Page
WE MET OUR GOAL!
A huge thank you to all the Grant families that participated in our Imagine Campaign this year.
Together we raised more than $83,000 for STEAM programming at Grant. We had 72% participation at the elementary school level and 27% participation at the middle school level. Our participation across Grant TK-8 was 57%. Stay tuned for updates on how the funds you raised are being put to use to benefit our students.
12 classes had 75% participation or more and won ice cream parties. The list of winning classes is: Averitt, Brandt, Caparell, Carroll, Crawford, Flanders, Harris, Kidder, Lovern, Silva, Steinberg & Wilson
INCLUDES: 2 tickets to the Grant Gala event, 2 child registration packages for the Mission Hills 5K, 2 tickets to the Wine & Art Soiree, 1 Halloween Carnival wrist band, Grant K8 Yearbook, and Exclusive Grant Imagine Campaign swag!
INCLUDES: 2 tickets to the Wine & Art Soiree, 1 Halloween Carnival wrist band, 1 child registration to the Mission Hills 5K, and Exclusive Grant Imagine Campaign swag!
INCLUDES: 1 Halloween Carnival wrist band and Exclusive Grant Imagine Campaign swag!
INCLUDES: Exclusive Grant Imagine Campaign swag!
INCLUDES: Exclusive Grant Imagine Campaign swag!
Grant K8's innovative curriculum and dedicated staff of highly credentialed. experienced teachers set us apart. With the support of the parents through the Grant Community Foundation and Parent Teacher Association (PTA) Grant offers a full array of science, technology, engineering, art, and music courses to students from grades TK through 8.
Many of Grant's programs simply don't exist at other public schools in San Diego -- parents and community support bridge the district's widening budgetary gaps while facilitating resources critical for our kids to excel. Our efforts are paying off: Grant K8's scores are among the highest in the San Diego Unified School District.
The Grant K8 PTA and Grant School Community Foundation are both 501(c)(1) nonprofit organizations that provides vital financial assistance and support for the instructional, educational, and recreational needs of our diverse student body.
Many of Grant's programs simply don't exist at other public schools in San Diego -- and the PTA and Foundation work to bridge the district's widening budgetary gaps while facilitating resources critical for our kids to excel.
Our efforts are paying off: Grant K8's scores are among the highest in the San Diego Unified School District.
Any organization is only as good as the sum of its parts -- and that's why we've made it our goal to engage with every parent as we strive to make Grant San Diego's best public school.
Can't make every meeting? No problem. Can't make any meetings? We hear you.
Help where you can and in a way that suits your skills, competencies, and interests.